Sewing For The Saints Blog

We all need and tip or two once in a while! So lets come together and help each other out with out with our learned tips and hints! There are self help videos below, please check them out!

Search S4TS Blog for your favorite post!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Use Basting Stitch As Hem Guide

Rather than making hems (especially 1/4" or 3/8" ones), I run a basting stitch at the appropriate hem mark using the guide on my machine or my 1/4" foot. I generally use a thread that contrasts with my fabric so it's easily seen.

I then sew the hem with a normal stitch by turning the hem (after finishing it with my seam/overcast stitch) under at the baste line and sewing approximately 1/8" less than the what the baste line was sewn at.

Once I'm done hemming I pull the basting threads. This gives me accuracy and with knits or necklines I find it eliminates stretching problems because I handle the edge a lot less then trying to use a hem gauge and pins.


No comments:

Post a Comment